Mexico is a beautiful and unique country, its culture spanning much wider than the typical bits and pieces we see on vacation! Mexico’s rich history has created a varied, and fascinating, culture, more so than you probably realize. Here are 7 interesting facts about Mexico you may not already know!
7 Less Commonly Known Facts About Mexico
Mexico Is the Origin of Chocolate
The Meso-American people discovered chocolate in Mexico. It was originally made into a sweet drink. The Aztecs even have their own chocolate Goddess, Ixcacao.
We Also Have Mexico To Thank for Corn & Chillies
Corn (Zea maiz) and chillies were also both first cultivated in Mexico. They’ve become a very key ingredient in both Mexican and American foods.
Mexico Isn’t Actually The Country’s Full Name
Mexico’s full name is actually Los Estados Unidos Mexicanos (The Mexican United States). The country was originally name after Mexico City, the capital. The capital city also used to be called Mexico-Tenochtitlan, but after it was destroyed during the Spanish conquest, it was rebuilt to resemble a Spanish city and renamed Mexico City.
There Are Literally Hundreds of Languages Spoken in Mexico
There are 285 living individual languages spoken throughout Mexico. Spanish is obviously the most predominant and is spoken by about 90% of the population. The remaining 10% speaks a mix of indigenous languages, including Mayan, Nahuatl, Mixteco, Zapoteco, Chipilo, and German. This diversity greatly contributes to Mexican culture.
Many Mexican Children Actually Do Not Receive Presents on December 25th
Rather than receiving gifts on Christmas Day, many Mexican children traditionally receive gifts on January 6th. Traditionally, this date is a celebration of the arrival of the Three Wise Men.
Greetings Are Incredibly Valuable
‘Hello’s’ and ‘goodbye’s’ are very important in Mexican culture. Men usually greet each other with a handshake or hug, while with women a quick kiss on the cheek is typical.
Food Is More Than Just Food
Mexican food is also rich in culture, has even earned recognition by the UNESCO as a cultural heritage contribution to humanity. So, not surprisingly, food isn’t just food. In Mexico, food is an experience, whether you’re a visitor or a local.
The rich history, its variability and these unique facts are just a few of the things that make Mexico so great. For an authentic taste of traditional Mexico, visit Benitos Mexican Restaurant.